Changing Lives Through Literacy
VMLC is dedicated to improving English literacy levels among non-English speaking adults and their young children by providing programs in communication and life skills. We do so in the belief that the ability to understand, read, write and speak English contributes to independence, productivity and the overall well-being of the learners, their families and the greater community.
VMLC provides free educational programs for approximately 1,000 adults and 200 preschool children who reside in two low-income, highly diverse areas in Dallas. VMLC relies on more than 200 weekly volunteers as teachers, and collaborates with other organizations to provide its students with the services they need to become permanently self-sufficient.
Core Values & Guiding Principles of VMLC
- VMLC strives to eliminate the obstacles that often prevent students from pursuing English literacy programs by providing free instruction for adults and children and flexible scheduling in a convenient location.
- We believe that providing literacy instruction to parents and their young children creates a valuable synergy, which enhances learning for the entire family.
- We recognize the unique needs of adult English literacy students and seeks to provide them with support, encouragement and respect.
- We seek to foster a strong sense of community among the students and within the neighborhood.
- We believe that compassionate, committed volunteers play a vital role in all aspects of our organization.
- We are committed to maintaining a tradition of fiscal responsibility and prudent budgeting.